Friday, May 28, 2010

Wireworm 10/28/2010



After a long hot muggy day scouting corn and beans I have come to the conclusion, I will never be as young as I am today!

Several plants caught my eye today, I noticed stunted plants with the emerging leaf beginning to die.  After digging up the few that I found, I came to the conclusion that we have a mild infestation of wireworms in some corn fields.  Right now they are not following a pattern as far as field location.  One was no-till corn following soybeans, the other was chisel plowed wheat stubble going to corn. 



Both fields had a pre emergent application of an insecticide at labeled rates.
Further soil digging did not find any around the other plants but on occasion I would find a wilted plant as pictured above.  No rescue treatments are effective and these fields are no where close to limiting yield.  Scouting is a very important part of our regimen and this year it has paid big to our growers.  If your not looking at your fields and constantly monitoring them - problems such as this might go undetected.  Future use of In-furrow insecticides or 2x2 row applications need to be implemented into your practice once this insect has been detected, as well as a insecticide seed treatment.

 Life cycle of this insect may be as much as 2-6 years.  Worm potential can be determined using a Bait station technique.  Average of one wireworm per station is equal to economic infestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment